Sunday, February 04, 2007

toga times: my big fat greek carnival

The Punahou Carnival malasada. After 3 years of carnival weekend pouting, I finally got one.

And with 15 years of carnival malasada eating experience, this one may have been the best. Crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. It was even better than I remembered. As was the teri cheeseburger, taco salad, portugese bean soup, fried noodles, corn, and hawaiian plate.

Although my stomach was happier than ever, something was missing. And not to be cheesy, but that oh so important missing piece was friends. I realized that carnival will never be the same again. I felt so old as I made my way through the crowd of kids with cut up carnival t-shirts, painted faces, and inflatable hammers. I miss being a part of carnival...dancing in variety show, selling teri burgers, painting banners.


So I have an idea. Let's all go to carnival together before we get too old and have to bring our kids. We will play kiddie games and win giant goofy hats which we will wear around for the next 2 days. We will get our faces painted, Kelly style. We will make obnoxious sound booth announcements. We will eat our way from end to end, with a malasada every hour on the hour. And we will get dizzy on the swings, smushed on the Music Express, and killed on the Zipper. You in?

Carnival Reunion soon.

9 comments:

~j said...

hahaha, i'm totally in! oh man, we are getting old. blah!

~j said...

ps: linked you on my facebook. hope you don't mind!

shannon said...

i'm in! i'm soooo in for that ish. i like how kathy was on the phone in that picture. i can't believe that was 4 years ago. remember when kelly fell down and was rolling around in poop?

taikohana said...

aww, good ol carnival days. glad you're malasada didn't disappoint. count me in for the reunion!

Kathy YL Chan said...

awwww steph, this was your best post EVER! Count me in on carnival - any year your want! maybe we can even fly out of the same airport...cause I'm coming back eeeast! oh man, what i wouldn't give to have just one malassada like RIGHT NOW.

PS
I'm glad no one stole your hawaiian plate this year. sigh. that was such a sad/funny/ridiculous moment :)

Hope your flight to melbourne was fun and that they fed you well. oooh, to be fed well!

Anonymous said...

I rolled around in poop? Must have blocked that one out of my memory.

Ahhh carnival!! We shall return and CONQUER!!

shannon said...

omg! i remember that! no it was a chicken plate! that was so sad.

are you in the FUTURE yet? i have some questions.....

Noelle said...

i'm so happy you got to be back for carnival! yeah, reunion asap, for sure!

i can't wait to hear all your other adventures of australia, too :)

Anonymous said...

Well said.