Wednesday, March 07, 2007

just beachy

I really lucked out with my roommate, Kaye. She has an aunty and uncle who live right here in Melbourne, and last weekend, they took us out for a Saturday adventure. Living in an apartment complex with all Americans who just wanna party everyday, a day with the fam was exactly what I needed. Carl and Lisa have two boys, Levi and Abe, who are pinch-your-cheeks adorable but such troublemakers. It was so nice getting out of the city and exploring more of Victoria. They took Kaye, two of my neighbors, and I out to Sorrento. It was a 1 1/2 hour drive out to the cute little beach town. We went on a refreshing swim and just hung out on the beach for a while. Then, we walked up a short trail that lead to the most amazing views. Apparently, Antarctica lies just across this ocean. Crazy yeah? We had dinner and wandered around a little bit before heading back.
I'm finishing up my second week of classes at Uni. So far, so good. It was pretty hard getting back into school mode after such a long, lazy break. But thankfully, I don't think school will consume my life like it does back home. I'm taking a first year optometry course (I just got back from a bovine eye dissection!), developmental psych, indigenous cultures, and education in natural landscapes (aka camping for credit). My indigenous cultures professor was a prominent aboriginal rights activist back in the 70s. Basically, he's amazing. The Australian government thought he was a terrorist and kept records on him that are just now being released, 30 years later. What better way to learn about indigenous culture than through a crazy hippie activist.

So you know what's crazy? I've been here about a month already! It seriously is flying by. I'm so excited for everything to come, but what I really need to do is enjoy the moment. It sounds cheesy but it's so true. I'm always looking forward to the next thing, which takes away from the amazing things I'm doing in the present. Note to me: Live in the present.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow your pictures are amazing! I owe you an email/letter but seriously, how can I compete with bovine eyes and the proximity of Antarctica?

Today is a gift; that's why they call it the present! <--- to add to your cheesiness =D

Kathy YL Chan said...

hey you!
make sure to eat more handrolls and gelato while you're living in the present. see you may (and you better tell me what you want me to bring you from hawaii since I'll be home for week before coming! ;)

shannon said...

aaahhhhh! i'm so excited to visit! i can't believe it's been a month already either, time is just breezing by, can't wait to see you!